Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Frustrations

We had Lorelei's checkup yesterday with her pediatrician. She was 30 inches tall and 22 lbs according to their calculations. Better than the GI but still down (the pediatrician has always measured her longer and heavier). So anyway, the doc said she too was concerned about her rate of growth. She said something that really hit home to me: "Lorelei is doing great, she is super smart, but we want her to reach her full potential." This referring to her not getting the proper calories she needs. Her doctor did not think it was a growth hormone problem, which is something we thought could be a possibility. So, she put her on a appetite stimulant and also said we needed to go back to occupational therapy.
I spoke with Lorelei's old OT today and she is wonderfully (because she is not on our insurance plan now) going to do an informal evaluation on Lorelei next Tuesday to see if and what she could do to help. I am not sure what therapy is going to do that we have not tried already, but then again I am not a therapist.

Sooooo, here is the frustrating part: other people's comments. I know everybody means well but the endless comments of "she looks great; she looks fine to me; look at those chubby cheeks, there is not anything wrong with her; being petite is just fine." And on and on it goes. Josh and I get frustrated because we know how she looks but when two different doctors tell us that her weight, height and rate of growth are NOT ok, then as her parent, I HAVE to listen. I am not going to look back at Lorelei one day and say "Well sorry honey, the doctors warned me but everybody else said you looked great so I listened to them instead." Believe me, the easy thing to do would be to ignore the doctors! I know that Lorelei is healthy and happy and looks great!! We are so blessed because of that, I really can't say it enough! When I put myself in others' shoes I am sure I would say the same thing so I can't be mad or blame anyone, and I don't. I know we will figure this out and God will work it out because HE is awesome! We are keeping it in perspective and in the meantime, we get to watch our sweet, funny and adorable baby girl blossom more everyday!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Kim, I understand your frustrations with everyones comments on Lorelei. I have started getting comments on how small Emily is.Her pediatrician insists that she is fine and following the growth curve. I think you are doing the right thing by listening to the Dr. and your own instincts. You're a great Mom!!!

Amy

digging a hole to China said...

okay, every time i hear how your doctors react to lorelei i get terrified for aidyn. she is 18 lbs at 21 months, but her tennessee doctor didn't show any concern about her weight at her july appointment. she has "maybe" gained a pound in the last six months. in atlanta i wasnt too concerned with her not growing bc her OT, SP, and PT all said she was catching up and doing well. but here we don't have anyone other than the ped to give us an opinion. i'm trying not to worry, but keep wondering if we should be doing more to help her. i know she may never be big but she is just now the size of other girls her age from her orphanage on adoption day in sept 2006 so i'm thinking her size isn't just bc she is asian, but more like she is a year behind. do you have a website that you use for growth charts or do you go by what your doctors tell you? i don't have a resource that i trust on this so i'm hoping you do. and for stupid comments i can somewhat relate. i'm starting to think people just don't know what to say so they say what they believe to be positive, ie your daughter is beautiful; your daughter looks healthy; your daughter is so smart and happy. . . . which makes me wonder when are people going to be able to just comment on my daughter without having to also comment on her size. red hair comments with the boy, size comments with the girl, what's it going to be about the baby?? how is the formula drink going?? is lorelei liking it any better now?